Teens died of carbon monoxide poisoning, reports say

Two Hoke High School teenagers who were found dead in a vehicle last month apparently died of accidental, acute carbon monoxide poisoning, according to official documents.

The North Carolina Office of the Chief Medical Examiner released Friday autopsy and toxicology results in the investigation into the deaths of Britany Carolina Muñoz-Ramirez, 17, and Ailton Sebastian Tirado-Martinez, 16.

The two children were found dead October 24 inside a running pickup truck parked at the school soccer field at Don Steed Elementary School on Philippi Church Road.

The medical examiner’s preliminary report on the circumstances surrounding the youths’ deaths said the two were boyfriend and girlfriend. They apparently attended a party October 23 and did not return home. Family members began searching for them the morning of October 24.

A family member driving by the school spotted the vehicle parked at the soccer field, according to the documents. The family member found the two teenagers in the backseat, neither of them breathing, with the vehicle’s engine still running and the windows up, according to the documents.

Rescuers arrived on the scene and attempted to help the two teens, but were unable to revive them.

The Hoke County Sheriff’s Office announced it will provide a press release about the investigation this coming Monday. See the full story in next week’s issue of the News-Journal.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.